Sunday, January 23, 2011

Good day

I took Mom to my brother's for lunch today. An aide got her in the car, but when I got her to my brother's, he was not there yet. I was able to get her out and into her wheelchair by myself. She helped a lot. She had some physical therapy today and walked with a different kind of walker. The therapist said she did real well, but was real nervous about it. She doesn't have confidence in herself and is scared a lot. Tonight after I spent the evening with her, the aids came to put her to bed. She was just fine until I told her I was going to the hospital early in the morning to be with my brother for his surgery. Then.....she started crying! Then....I started crying. I just can't help it. I can't stand to see her cry and not be able to tell me why she is crying. She has never been one to cry. I cry watching TV!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do I , cry while watching TV. Hugs to you both. Beth
You need some form of communication with her. I used to 'talk' to dad by asking a lot of questions about what it could be and he would be able to nod or shake his head.
Do you think she doesn't know why she is crying or because she can't communicate to you is why she is crying? Just thinking out loud here, no need to answer, just trying to help think out the situation.
When a brain is affected by a stroke...a lot of things are affected.
Just like her not being able to talk....she also isn't in control of her tears.
I totally do understand why you cry, I am a very tearful person myself.
It may have been because she won't be there for your brother or the thought of him needing surgery.
I am really glad you had a good day and congrats to you both for being able to get out of the car...that is tremendous , if you think about how little she could do just a few weeks ago.

Linda said...

I am sure that she is upset that she will not be there for her son's surgery. It sounds like she is making progress everyday. My prayers will continue to be with you,your Mom and brother, I know that the two of you are so worn out! We don't know what God has in store for us but I am sure that you Dad is watching over every move you make.

Sandy said...

Thanks, Linda. We commented the other day that we are glad Dad is not here to see this. He could not handle it. She continues to improve. She lit up today when I walked in after being at the hospital for my brother's surgery. She lit up even more, when he called my cell phone and I put it to her ear so she could hear his voice. He is home now! Can not believe he had back surgery this morning and is home now!

Pat Austin Becker said...

I hope she's doing better; I sympathize with what you're going through. I got mom out of rehab in October and she's back home doing fine now, but my brother is living with her doing the cooking and cleaning. Don't know what I'd do without his help!

While you're hospital sitting, you ought to try that new place next door to Milly Rose's for lunch or dinner. We loved it!

Tania K said...

Hello mate greaat blog post