Thursday, May 24, 2007

Bluebird Taj Mahal

If my bluebirds don't come back for this, then they are just too dumb to belong in my yard. My cousin's husband made this for me and put it in the yard for me. It cannot be near a fence or a bush because predators smell the eggs or the babies and do everything in their power to get at them. The main predators are raccoons and black snakes. The stove pipe around the pole will prevent a snake from getting them and the screen around the hole (bluebird front porch) is long enough that even a raccoon's long arm could not reach the babies even if he were able to get up the pole. There is a door on the side that I can open to see about the babies and clean out the old nest. How cool is this!!!

2 comments:

Moobear said...

What a neat idea, I am going to have to show this to my husband and see if he can make us one. There will be some happy bluebirds
in your yard!

Also, sorry about your tooth or possibly teeth, nothing much worse than an abcessed tooth. Hope the root canal goes well.

Sandy said...

Thanks for your comments. I believe I may be able to escape a second root canal if today is a good indication. I NEED to go to Hilton Head!
The trick to the stove pipe on the pole is that it moves. It isn't attached to something to stablilize it, so the movement makes it impossible for a snake to crawl on it.