Tuesday, October 25, 2011

It's been a while!

We almost had a crisis yesterday, When I got there at 4 my brother was outside and Mom was asleep in her chair, which she hardly ever does. We let her sleep for  a while, then tried to wake her. We could NOT! Finally, we checked her blood sugar and it was VERY low. We put cake icing under her tongue because we couldn't wake her enough to drink some coke or orange juice. We finally got her awake, but her blood sugar would not come up! We tried candy, coke, juice with sugar...everything we could get in her mouth. She finally came around, but would not eat any supper (and I had made gumbo) and remained very sleepy.


On Saturday, she scraped skin off her arm (which is very easy to do) while on her power chair in the house. She never uses it in the house, but she came in from outside and headed straight to the bathroom. That's when she got too close to a piece of furniture. It looks bad!

Not much else to report. I am just tired. It is beginning to take a toll on me. My brother is going to Branson in December and I will have it by myself for a week. I'm glad he can get away. Even if I went away, I would not be able to free my mind!

3 comments:

Linda said...

I do worry about the toll it is taking on you.

Sandy said...

Thanks, Linda. I will be OK!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a visiting nurse that comes in?? That would be a good time to call her...they should be available 24/7 if you need anything. To help you guys with the blood sugar situation.
Also, there is always the internet to help with any question you might have that you can look up.
The elderly and thin skin goes together and any abrasion they get looks really bad...all you can do is clean it up and keep it covered ,they also heal VERY slowly.
I went on a short vacation to get away while helping to take care of dad...mom and my brother(who also works) took care of him....I had to start all over when I got home with his schedule of care. He suffered from no schedule. It didn't really help to go on vacation.
Guys are different, have a different outlook and mindset than we girls do.
Dad had diabetes too.Beth

It is hard on a person...there are so many ups and downs, so your adrenaline is pumping then you crash,then before you get any rest something happens again.