Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Uh Oh!

Today was the last day that PT came to see Mom. My brother and I took her out tonight to walk on her driveway. She did really well and walked almost to the end of it. After that, he rolled her around the property so she could see his ornamental gourds. I have no idea what he is going to do with them, but they are very interesting to watch grow. He has also planted some pumpkins and some cushaw, but they are slow about coming up! Tomorrow I will check with the people that we got the wheelchair from a long time ago and see if it is now ours. It should be ours after 13 months, but all the time she was in the hospital and rehab did not count against that time. I want to get started again on trying to get a power chair for her. It was hard to push her around  in that wheelchair in the grass on the property today. Her cousin, who is a doctor, has said he will do the paperwork again to get that chair. The paperwork he did before has since expired and must be redone. We are also checking on perhaps getting Medicare to pay for the adult diapers and rubber gloves that we have to buy a lot of. They are very expensive.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Craigslist is a good resource for reasonably priced things . I've seen power chairs on there...usually they are in pretty good shape because a lot of folks don't use them that long or often.
We gave dad's to our home health nurse..for her dad who had become disabled while she was taking care of dad.
Ask the caregivers about things like the diapers/gloves they will have some ideas for you and will most likely know if they are covered by medicare. If you still have the Home Health Nurse coming she should also know....even if she isn't still them and ask..they are usually willing to share any info they have if you ask. As long as she is disabled I am pretty sure Medicare will cover the home health nurse coming weekly.
I would also ask the rehab place she was at if you could buy them in bulk through them(I don't know if that would be cheaper or not)

Get in touch with the wheelchair place first and get that part all lined up then get the dr. papers....the wheelchair place will do it all for you and you won't have to do much paperwork except for signing things. They want to get you an electric chair.

Or if you don't think she can handle the wheelchair, (you will have to be with her every second anyway) ...the golf cart is a very good option. And useful for other things around the place especially as we get older. :) Beth