Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dumbness revealed....Atlas Shrugged!



When I went to a Tea Party protest last week, I saw several "Where is John Galt?" signs. I must admit I had no idea who John Galt was, but it didn't take me long to find out after I got home. He is a character in the Ayn Rand book, Atlas Shrugged. I have never read the book, probably due to its enormous size. While watching Tea Party coverage on TV, I saw several references to John Galt and Atlas Shrugged. Being the curious person that I am.... plus not wanting to look absolutely stupid, I researched the book and now have it in my stack of books to read. From what I can derive, it is all about the complete fall of Capitalism. Now I see the relevance because that's exactly where the USA is headed. We are on the road to destruction! I smell the wild blueberry muffins in the oven and my book is waiting. Muffins for dinner! YUM!

4 comments:

GUYK said...

Yeah, that is part of it but Ayn Rand was a philosopher who believed in using logic to solve every problem...one who believed that if there appeared to be a contradiction then one of the premises was wrong.

I read Atlas Shrugged the first time circa 1970 and have read it several times since. If any book changed my thinking and my life this one did. I think you will like it. I think it should be required reading for ever High School English lit student and then taught in college

GUYK said...

by the way, the writing sucks and the story line is weak but the message is STRONG!

none said...

I just got it in the mail and I'm reading it now.

Anna said...

Yes, the thing is huge, (but you'll appreciate the good read). Fact, the paperback version I read was too big for me to hold in my hand so I tore it in half and read it that way ...
seriously, I shit you not! lol ;-)
Anyway, GuyK is correct. The message in Atlas Shrugged is STRONG!