Sunday, August 10, 2008

Oh MY!

Birdie A year or so ago I nailed a bluebird house on the wooden fence around my house. It is in a sort of protected place between the house and the fence, but in an area that I can see from my recliner. It's never had a bird near it...at least that's what I thought! I have never seen a bird go in it or even light near it. A few days ago I opened it just to look because I was going to take it down and there was a nest in there with 4 eggs. I still have never seen a bird, so I thought it was just abandoned. Today I looked again and one of the babies was hatching. I STILL have not seen a mom or dad bird around. Of course, now I'm worried that they won't get fed. I guess they will since surely the mom had to be sitting on the eggs for them to hatch. I think they may be wrens.

I checked on my other babies that I found last week and they have flown away. I never get to see them fly away!

2 comments:

GUYK said...

LOL I am betting they will get the worms or whatever it is they eat.

I have one of those fancy commercial made bird houses nailed to a tree in my back yard..took four years to get a bird in it..but now they seem to return every year..don't know what they are..some kind of yellow breasted swallow..and they will not sit still long enough for me to get decent picture.

Sandy said...

Guy, I am on a mission now to see those damn birds. I had a clutch of bluebirds as well in a Taj Mahal blue bird house especially constructed for me to be predator proof. I rarely ever saw those parents feed those babies and I had their house situated so I could see it from inside my house through a window. Sneaky little devils.